What does the availability of COVID-19 vaccines mean for patients taking COSENTYX® (secukinumab)?
- According to the COSENTYX Prescribing Information, prior to initiating therapy with COSENTYX, consider completion of all age appropriate immunizations according to current immunization guidelines. COSENTYX may alter a patient's immune response to live vaccines. Avoid use of live vaccines in patients treated with COSENTYX.
- As of June 24, 2021, all COVID-19 vaccines with emergency use authorization are non-live vaccines, and at this time, there are no live COVID-19 vaccines in phase 3 clinical development.2
What does COVID-19 mean for patients taking COSENTYX?
- At this time, Novartis does not have data on patients with COVID-19 who start or continue on COSENTYX.
- COSENTYX may increase the risk of infections. Exercise caution when considering the use of COSENTYX in patients with a chronic infection or a history of recurring infection.1
- Instruct patients to seek medical advice if signs and symptoms suggestive of an infection offer. If a patient develops a serious infection, monitor the patient closely and discontinue COSENTYX until the infection resolves.1
Availability & Manufacturing
- Secukinumab is manufactured in France and Switzerland in sterile, state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities.3
- At this time, Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation does not anticipate supply chain disruption due to the COVID-19 outbreak. We are confident that our existing stock is sufficient to cover production/distribution needs for the time being.
- Where required, we have enacted mitigation plans to ensure ongoing drug supply.4
- The quality, safety, and efficacy of our products are of fundamental importance to Novartis, and we are committed to ensuring that all our marketed products meet the highest quality standards.
Please refer to the following:Novartis COVID-19 Information Center American Academy of Dermatology American College of Rheumatology US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention World Health Organization
For additional questions regarding this information, please contact
Novartis Medical Information @
Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM ET.
References: 1. Cosentyx [prescribing information].East Hanover, NJ: Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp; May 2021. 2. American College of Rheumatology. December 2020 update: Information from the American College of Rheumatology regarding vaccination against SARS-CoV-2. https://www.rheumatology.org/Portals/0/Files/ACR-Information-Vaccination-Against-SARS-CoV-2.pdf. Accessed January 12, 2021. 3. Data on File. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation; East Hanover, NJ. 4. Novartis Global Website. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) update. Accessed: March 13, 2020. https://www.novartis.com/news/coronavirus-disease-covid-19-update.